Liposuction surgery sculpts your body eliminating unwanted pockets of fat resistant to diet and exercise whilst improving your body contours and proportions.
Vaser liposuction is an ultrasound assisted liposuction that facilitate the suction of unwanted fat and improve skin tightening. Liposuction is often combined with other procedures to create a desired shape and is one of the safest and most popular cosmetic procedures.
Liposuction is not a treatment for obesity or a substitute for proper diet and exercise. It is not an effective treatment for cellulite (dimpled skin) or loose and saggy skin.
Liposuction & Vaser Liposuction Information
- Anesthesia: Liposuction and Vaser liposuction can be performed under local anesthesia, intravenous sedation and general anaesthesia.
Mr Netri and his anaesthetist will recommend the best choice for you.
- Liposuction and Vaser liposuction are performed through small incisions hidden, when possible, in the best location to minimise scarring
- Infiltration of tumescent solution: local anaesthetic and adrenaline are injected with saline solution to control intra and post operative pain and reduce bleeding
- Suction: after infiltration the fat cells are gently removed through suction using very small blunt cannulas
- In case of Vaser before suction a very small cannula is introduced. This cannula vibrates very quickly delivering ultrasound energy. As the cannula passes through the fat cells, that energy liquefies the fat cells that will be then be suctioned out. This technique enable a greater volume of fat to be removed. This is best for larger areas, dense fat and male patients.
You may be a candidate for liposuction or Vaser liposuction if:
- You are over 18
- You are physically healthy
- You have realistic expectations
- If you are not significantly overweight and you are stable with your weight.
- If you have localised areas of fat deposit that are disproportionate with the rest of your body and are resistant to diet and exercise
- If you would like more definition in certain areas of your body
- If your skin elasticity is good (Liposuction removes fat but does not tighten skin)
The decision to have plastic surgery is very personal and only you can decide if the benefits will achieve your goal and if the risks and potential complication of surgery are acceptable. You will be asked to sign a consent form to ensure that you fully understand the procedure, its benefits and any risks and potential complications.
Possible risks of liposuction/Vaser liposuction include:
- Anesthesia risk
- Seroma (fluid accumulation)
- Persistent swelling
- Leakage of fluid and blood from the site of liposuction
- Irregularities of the skin
- worsening of cellulite
- Changes in sensitivity (these can be permanent)
- Poor wound healing and unfavourable scarring
- Persistent pain
- Deep vein thrombosis and pulmonary embolism
- Damage to deeper structures (i.e. lungs)
- Possible need for revision of surgery
- Pigmentation of the skin
- Thermal burn or heat injury in case of Vaser
These risks and others will be fully discussed by Mr Netri prior to your consent.
Liposuction and Vaser liposuction surgery can be scheduled as a day case surgery or as an overnight stay depending on different circumstances that will be discussed at the time of your consultation.
Before leaving the hospital you will be given specific instructions on how to care for your wounds, medications to take and when to follow-up with your surgeon.
You will need to wear a compressive garment for four weeks after surgery night and day.
You might need to have a course of specific massage to help reduce swelling and improve the result.
You should refrain from exercise and heavy lifting for four weeks after surgery.
Results are usually very good and immediately visible but the final result can take up to 6 months because of post surgical swelling. The scars can take over one year to fade and will never disappear completely.
Results will vary significantly from person to person. It is very important to understand that anatomical features will determine the type of result that you will achieve. The conformation of your body, asymmetries, the quality of the skin, the lifestyle (smoking, exercise etc) and previous weight loss are all elements that will contribute to the final result.
Looking at or showing pictures during consultation will only be useful for you in order to explain the kind of result that you are or you are not looking for and for your surgeon to understand your expectation but the results can be significantly different by the ones shown.
The result of liposuction will be long lasting as the fat cells have been removed, providing you maintain a stable weight.
However your body shape might be affected by weight gain, ageing, pregnancy, family genes and lifestyle factors.
Following liposuction if you put on weight fat can be stored in other body areas. There is no way to predict where your body will store new fat. What’s more not every fat cell will be removed from your target area so you could still increase the size of remaining fat cells in that area.
Your consultation with Mr Netri will last approximately one hour. During this time you will be able to discuss the reasons why you are considering this procedure, your expectations, your desired outcome and concerns. Mr Netri will collect your family history and your personal medical history and will ask you for the permission to contact your GP in order to receive all the important medical information that will make the operation as safe as possible. A psychological assessment may be required as recommended by new guidelines for cosmetic surgery in the UK.
Mr Netri will examine you and take some measurements and take notes of size, asymmetry, skin quality, muscle tone, presence of scars, stretch marks, cellulite or pigmentations. You will have all the time that you need to make questions and Mr Netri will do his best to answer these as clearly as possible.
You will be offered a second consultation to re-discussed the surgical plan and to make questions that you might have forgotten to make during your first appointment.
The cooling off period is a minimum of 14 days and is required by Mr Netri from the last consultation up until the day of the operation.
- Before surgery you may be asked to see an anaesthetist for assessment, whereby other investigations or bloods are requested
- You may be asked to suspend or adjust your current medications
- You will be asked to stop smoking and suspend aspirin or other anti-inflammatory medication that can increase the risk of bleeding and any other supplementary medication
- Arrange somebody to pick you up from the hospital and somebody that can stay with you for the first night
Costs of liposuction start at £3,500. Costs may vary depending upon facility, number of areas required and the need for Vaser liposuction.
- Anesthesia fees
- Hospital facility costs
- Surgeon fees
*Extra costs can be applied for preoperative tests, medication, compressive garment and revision of surgery. Discuss these details at the time of your consultation.