A breast augmentation is a procedure that involves the use of breast implants or fat to increase the size of your breasts or restore breast volume that has been lost after pregnancy or weight loss.
A breast augmentation can increase the fullness of your breasts, improve the balance of your figure and enhance your self-confidence.
Breast augmentation does not correct drooping breasts. If you want your breast to look fuller and be lifted due to sagging, a breast uplift in conjunction with breast augmentation will be required.
Breast Augmentation Information
- Anesthesia: the operation will be under general anaesthetic so you will be unconscious during the procedure
- Incision: the surgical incision and the resulting scar will be placed under your breast in the inframammary fold and will be 4-5 cm long
- The implant: will be positioned behind your muscle (submuscular pocket), or in front of your muscle between the breast and the muscle (subglandular pocket) or partially behind the muscle (dual plane pocket)
The best option for you will be discussed at the time of your consultation with Mr Netri.
You may be a candidate for breast augmentation if:
- You are over 18 years old
- You are physically healthy
- You have realistic expectations
- You are unhappy with the size of your breasts, lack of fulness and changes in shape and size due to pregnancy, weight loss or ageing
- Your breast are asymmetrical
The decision to have plastic surgery is very personal and only you can decide if the benefits will achieve your goal and if the risks and potential complications of surgery are acceptable.
You will be asked to sign a consent form to ensure that you fully understand the procedure, its benefits and any risks and potential complications.
Possible risk of a breast augmentation include:
- Risk associated with anesthesia
- Seroma (fluid accumulation)
- Poor scarring
- Wrong or faulty position of the implant.
- Capsular contracture (thickening of the scar around the implant)
- Changes in sensitivity of nipples and breast
- Rippling (wrinkling of the skin over the implant) and palpability
- Pain that can persist
- Implant leakage or rupture
- Need of revision of surgery
- Need for more future surgery (to remove or change the implants that are not guaranteed to last a lifetime, or to correct sagginess or change in shape that happens over time). These risks and others will be fully discussed by Mr Netri prior to your consent.
Breast augmentation can be scheduled as day case surgery or as an overnight stay depending on different circumstances that will be discussed at the time of your consultation.
Before leaving the hospital you will be given specific instructions on how to care for your breasts, on medications that needs to be taken and when to follow-up with your surgeon.
You will need to keep the dressings clean and dry for a week after surgery.
You will need to wear a sport or post surgical bra for four weeks night and day and if implants are sub muscular a breast band for two weeks night and day.
You should refrain from exercise and heavy lifting for six weeks after surgery.
You can drive after one week and go back to work after one to two weeks depending on the physical requirements of your job.
Result will vary significantly from person to person. It is very important to understand that your anatomical features will determine the type of result that you will achieve. The conformation of the chest, the position of the breast on the chest (breast footprint), asymmetry, the gap between the breast, the quality of the skin, the lifestyle (smoking, exercise etc), previous pregnancies and weight loss are all elements that will contribute to the final result.
- Cup size is never guaranteed
- There is a limit to the size of implant that can be used in each patient
- The same implant will give a different result and size in different patients
- Previous asymmetry of size, shape and nipple position can become more noticeable
- Position where nipples face (outwards or inwards) will not change
Looking at or showing pictures during consultation will only be useful for you to explain the kind of result that you are or you are not looking for and for your surgeon to understand your expectation but the results can be significantly different from the ones shown.
Mr Netri uses the full range of Allergan Natrelle or McGhan Silicone implants. During the consultation you will be able to discuss type, shape, size and projection of the implants to find the one that best suits your needs and expectation.
Fat transfer breast augmentation uses liposuction to take fat from another part of your body and inject it into the breast. This is an option for women that are looking for a small increase in breast size, a very natural look and don’t want to use a breast implant, or for women that have had breast implants before and for different reasons want or need to have them removed.
Mr Netri would be happy to discuss this option with you.
Your breast augmentation consultation with Mr Netri will last approximately one hour.
During this time you will be able to discuss the reason why you are considering this procedure, your expectation, your desired outcome and your concerns.
Mr Netri will collect your family history and your personal medical history and will ask you for the permission to contact your GP in order to receive all the important medical information that will make the operation as safe as possible. A psychological assessment may be required as recommended by new guidelines for cosmetic surgery in the UK.
Mr Netri will examine and measure your breasts and take note of size, shape, nipple position and skin quality.
Based on this examination different options and the possible outcomes will be discussed with you. Mr Netri will explain in detail the operation, risks and possible associated complications.
Mr Netri will ask you to try different sizes of implant so he can better understand which kind of result you are looking for and you can have an idea of the result that is possible to achieve .
In some cases pictures can be used to help in this decision.
You will have all the time that you need to make questions and Mr Netri will do his best to answer these as clearly as possible.
You will be offered a second consultation to rediscussed the surgical plan and to make questions that you might have forgotten to make during your first appointment.
A cooling off period is a minimum of 14 days and is required by Mr Netri from the last consultation up until the day of the operation.
- Before surgery you may be asked to see an anaesthetist for an assessment and may need to have a blood test or other investigations performed
- You may be asked to suspend or adjust your current medications.
- You will be asked to stop smoking and suspend aspirin or other anti-inflammatory that can increase the risk of bleeding.
- Arrange somebody to pick you up from the hospital and somebody that can stay with you for the first night.
An average price for a straightforward breast augmentation would be between £4,000-5000. Price may vary depending upon facility and implant selected.
- Anesthesia fees
- Hospital facility cost
- Cost of implant
- Surgeon fees
* Extra costs can be applied for preoperative tests, surgical bra, medication, breast band and revision of surgery. Discuss these details at the time of your consultation.